SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switch from 4 games a year to 3

+9
canuck3360
Kumba
simsamerica
Bruce
K50
Blakeway
Peter
Wacky32
Slacker
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Switch from 4 games a year to 3 Empty Switch from 4 games a year to 3

Post by Slacker Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:28 am

When the Simlympics first began, we only had 3 games a year. We then decided to switch to 4 games a year, and it worked well for a while, but we think it's time to try 3 games a year again for a while. The aim is to give everyone more time. At the moment, I'm sure you'll agree, everything feels a bit rushed. Bidders only have a month to construct a bid, and then the ISC/the Host only has a month to create the world's biggest sporting event. We think giving both of these crucial periods an extra bit of time will improve the games for everyone.

So, consequentially, we're moving the August games to September and therefore the ISC Session to chose the host of the next Simlympics will instead of taking place tonight, we happen in mid July. These extra time will also give bidders a chance to add more info to their bids, or for new cities to submit bids.

Winchester/Roseburgh will still be hosting the 15th ISC Session, and we look forward to seeing you there in a couple of weeks time Smile.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 2998
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Switch from 4 games a year to 3 Empty Re: Switch from 4 games a year to 3

Post by Wacky32 Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:35 am

Ok, sounds smart! Smile
Wacky32
Wacky32

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2010-01-12

http://sibf.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:36 am

This is great but NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there's more waiting and waiting = more nerve wracking anticipation. And that means that my bid will have to be redone since most of it says August 2010 Razz
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1386
Registration date : 2008-08-08

http://sites.google.com/site/chihiropetrova/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:38 am

Ive already bidded for the ISC session, Im not gonna get my bid for the games back up, its not fair, who agrees with me! Smile
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:03 am

Slacker wrote:When the Simlympics first began, we only had 3 games a year. We then decided to switch to 4 games a year, and it worked well for a while, but we think it's time to try 3 games a year again for a while. The aim is to give everyone more time. At the moment, I'm sure you'll agree, everything feels a bit rushed. Bidders only have a month to construct a bid, and then the ISC/the Host only has a month to create the world's biggest sporting event. We think giving both of these crucial periods an extra bit of time will improve the games for everyone.

The Problem (IMO) is not that there's too mutch games... It's that there's too mutch members sign up to be part of the Simlympics. TOO MUTCH.

Slacker wrote:So, consequentially, we're moving the August games to September and therefore the ISC Session to chose the host of the next Simlympics will instead of taking place tonight, we happen in mid July. These extra time will also give bidders a chance to add more info to their bids, or for new cities to submit bids.

scratch O.K. But that's not fair to people who just bids even if we had more times. Peter's bid for example is fully complete, so it's very not fair. I may add more with the month you're gaving, but I won't to respect Peter and I hope I won't have to wait the month and that you'll do as mentionned below.

Slacker wrote:Winchester/Roseburgh will still be hosting the 15th ISC Session, and we look forward to seeing you there in a couple of weeks time Smile.

Okay, but if it's Winchester/Roseburgh, why isn't the same for the simlympics bidders. That's not FAIR! It'll be very FAIR, that you annonce the host of the Simlympic "September"/August Games tonight and that you'll have 2 months to prepare it to make the presentation and all even better???

Thanks for your time and understandable Slacker and all the ISC members.

P.S. Sorry if I've been rude or too direct with some people with saying above.
Blakeway
Blakeway

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-11-29

http://aoin.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by K50 Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:15 am

This is absurd. If I was Wacky I would be going absolutely crazy, because, if you are letting others keep adding on to their bids, Wacky is totally left in the dust here. Until Slacker says the ISC bidders can still go for it (because ComputerGuy also said he was interested in the near future as well, plus, if you are giving us more time, I might go for the real deal this time) like the Simlympic bidders, I don't even want to post the session, because it's just not right.

Again, until he is given a chance [EDIT: or the ISC session happens within the next 24 hours], New Chandler will NOT be hosting the ISC session. It's not fair at all.
K50
K50
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:29 am

I totally agree with k50 dude. Another thing that wouldn't be fair is that if wacky or CG were allowed to change their bids, then there's a possibility that k50 might not win. I know he worked hard on his bid. And all of this would be for nothing.

I posted this in the other thread, but i'll post it here again.

Ok, so I'm fine with the change but there's a couple of things I'm uneasy about

1. More waiting(but thats just me haha)
2. Couldn't you guys have told us this prior to the closing of the bids?
3. I think this gives an unfair advantage to all bidders in a way. We are now able to add things that we didnt have. I think that whatever everyone has on the table now, they should keep.

Another way to justify my third point is an anology of a class taking a test. The teacher says "ok class, times up, im going to collect your test. you can go home." and you know students, when they come home, some like to look up the answers to the questions they stumbled upon on the test. then the next day the teacher says "ok class, here's the same test you took yesterday, im going to let you finish your test if you didnt finish it or change any answers." of course this would be unfair to the students that studied, did their homework and actually worked hard to know the answers the first day. and its unfair how the students who had no clue what the answer to some of the questions now have the ability to add those answers back in or change them, thus bettering their grade.

And with that analogy, I dont mean to offend any of the other bidders. But this is just how I see it. Being in the IB program, I learned to have integrity and postive work ethics.

I really just suggest having the session now, while still having the games in September, so that way the host and ISC has abundant time to prepare and promote the games.
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 am

Well...looks like I'll be bidding for the next available ISC session: the one prior to the February 2011 games.

A suggestion: How about a miniature version of the games, the October Invitational or something like that, to compensate the gap between the September and February games...we need to have Simlympic Games often enough!
Bruce
Bruce

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:43 am

Yes, that's a great idea CG! Just have qualifications or prelims in Sep/October! Something small, yet simlympic related Smile

And Blake, merci beaucoup pour ca Smile
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:44 am

Some name options/ideas:

October Invitational
October ISC Games
October Simlympic Invitational
Autumn Invitational
Autumn ISC Games
Bruce
Bruce

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:08 am

Having a Simlympic in Summer is the perfect moment! Or Winter for SH Users.

Well here's some comments from AIN:

emgmod wrote:I say SimSports should have mad ethe 3 games a year schedule after the August Simlympics were done.

Aranho wrote:I'll go for the change only after the AugustSimlympics.
Blakeway
Blakeway

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-11-29

http://aoin.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simsamerica Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:27 am

ISC,
If you wanted to do this mid-prep send out a mass PM to everyone involved and if you get back a generally good response then go for it but if not, cancel october and then adjust the schedule for 2011. There is still time to think about this so I ask you to. But then again, its just my two cents worth.

sincerly,
Will
simsamerica
simsamerica

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-12-14

http://sc4united.darkbb.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:53 am

This is absurd. If I was Wacky I would be going absolutely crazy, because, if you are letting others keep adding on to their bids, Wacky is totally left in the dust here. Until Slacker says the ISC bidders can still go for it (because ComputerGuy also said he was interested in the near future as well, plus, if you are giving us more time, I might go for the real deal this time) like the Simlympic bidders, I don't even want to post the session, because it's just not right.

Again, until he is given a chance [EDIT: or the ISC session happens within the next 24 hours], New Chandler will NOT be hosting the ISC session. It's not fair at all..

K50! I will feel bad if that happens! Sad I guess Im stuck, uhhhh, Damn, I think im starting to agree. I mean I think I may have misread, I dont want to make anyone angry. scratch
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:10 am

Wow, quite a lot for me to respond to - I like it Very Happy.

Wacky32 wrote:Ive already bidded for the ISC session, Im not gonna get my bid for the games back up, its not fair, who agrees with me! Smile

Sounds fair to me Smile.

Peter wrote:This is great but NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there's more waiting and waiting = more nerve wracking anticipation. And that means that my bid will have to be redone since most of it says August 2010 Razz

Haha, sorry Sad.

Blakeway wrote:The Problem (IMO) is not that there's too mutch games... It's that there's too mutch members sign up to be part of the Simlympics. TOO MUTCH.

Yup, I think this is also a problem. We'll be looking to prune the competitors list even more.

scratch O.K. But that's not fair to people who just bids even if we had more times. Peter's bid for example is fully complete, so it's very not fair. I may add more with the month you're gaving, but I won't to respect Peter and I hope I won't have to wait the month and that you'll do as mentionned below.

You're probably right, it's not the fairest thing to do, but on the other hand, I think it's only right that with this extra time bidders now have, they can choose to add things to their bids if they so wish Smile.

Okay, but if it's Winchester/Roseburgh, why isn't the same for the simlympics bidders. That's not FAIR! It'll be very FAIR, that you annonce the host of the Simlympic "September"/August Games tonight and that you'll have 2 months to prepare it to make the presentation and all even better???

Winchester/Rosenburgh had already been selected as the session host, so it we couldn't have changed our decision on that like we have on the Simlympic host. I like that suggestion, however, I don't think a two month period with just games preparations is the best idea... the time before a Simlympics is usually the quietest period, we want to keep that to a minimum so there's lots for you all to enjoy Smile.

Thanks for your time and understandable Slacker and all the ISC members.

P.S. Sorry if I've been rude or too direct with some people with saying above.

Not at all, great to hear feedback! Smile

K50 Dude wrote:This is absurd. If I was Wacky I would be going absolutely crazy, because, if you are letting others keep adding on to their bids, Wacky is totally left in the dust here. Until Slacker says the ISC bidders can still go for it (because ComputerGuy also said he was interested in the near future as well, plus, if you are giving us more time, I might go for the real deal this time) like the Simlympic bidders, I don't even want to post the session, because it's just not right.

Again, until he is given a chance [EDIT: or the ISC session happens within the next 24 hours], New Chandler will NOT be hosting the ISC session. It's not fair at all.

Very sporting gesture of you! However, there is one key key difference between the ISC Session Bidding and the Simlympics Bidding; we had already decided the host for the ISC Session. I thought it would be incredibly unfair to say to you, days after we'd informed you you were hosting the session, that you're now no longer the host and we're opening bidding back up again. It would just be wrong.

Peter wrote:I totally agree with k50 dude. Another thing that wouldn't be fair is that if wacky or CG were allowed to change their bids, then there's a possibility that k50 might not win. I know he worked hard on his bid. And all of this would be for nothing.

I posted this in the other thread, but i'll post it here again.

Ok, so I'm fine with the change but there's a couple of things I'm uneasy about

1. More waiting(but thats just me haha)
2. Couldn't you guys have told us this prior to the closing of the bids?
3. I think this gives an unfair advantage to all bidders in a way. We are now able to add things that we didnt have. I think that whatever everyone has on the table now, they should keep.

Another way to justify my third point is an anology of a class taking a test. The teacher says "ok class, times up, im going to collect your test. you can go home." and you know students, when they come home, some like to look up the answers to the questions they stumbled upon on the test. then the next day the teacher says "ok class, here's the same test you took yesterday, im going to let you finish your test if you didnt finish it or change any answers." of course this would be unfair to the students that studied, did their homework and actually worked hard to know the answers the first day. and its unfair how the students who had no clue what the answer to some of the questions now have the ability to add those answers back in or change them, thus bettering their grade.

And with that analogy, I dont mean to offend any of the other bidders. But this is just how I see it. Being in the IB program, I learned to have integrity and postive work ethics.

I really just suggest having the session now, while still having the games in September, so that way the host and ISC has abundant time to prepare and promote the games.

K50 is hosting the session, I made that perfectly clear in the first post Smile.

1. I know, I'm sorry Sad.
2. Ideally yes, it's something we've been discussing for a while. However, I had an operation on Monday so have been really out of it for the past few days Sad.
3. I see your point, but it can't be unfair if it applies equally to everyone!

Interesting analogy, although I can see the likeness in certain regards, there are some key differences. If the test was like bidding, everyone would already be able to see everyone else's answers (Bider's can see the other bids!). I think the analogy would be more accurate if the teacher were to say 'everyone have an extra hour!'. That'd give both the students who were struggling time to complete the test, but also the students who'd finished a chance to go back and check their answers Everyone would be at an advantage Smile.

See above about the timing of pre-games.

ComputerGuy wrote:Well...looks like I'll be bidding for the next available ISC session: the one prior to the February 2011 games.

A suggestion: How about a miniature version of the games, the October Invitational or something like that, to compensate the gap between the September and February games...we need to have Simlympic Games often enough!

Disregard the previous schedule. It needs updating Smile.

Blakeway wrote:
Well here's some comments from AIN:

emgmod wrote:I say SimSports should have mad ethe 3 games a year schedule after the August Simlympics were done.

Aranho wrote:I'll go for the change only after the AugustSimlympics.

No time like the present I say!

simsamerica wrote:ISC,
If you wanted to do this mid-prep send out a mass PM to everyone involved and if you get back a generally good response then go for it but if not, cancel october and then adjust the schedule for 2011. There is still time to think about this so I ask you to. But then again, its just my two cents worth.

sincerly,
Will

I agree, however, with the Session scheduled for tonight, we didn't really have time. In an ideal world, we would've discussed it with everyone beforehand. We try and talk to the community before making big decisions, but it's definitely something we need to do more of. I don't think we'll be changing our minds I'm afraid, we really do believe a September games will be better for everyone than an August games, I understand that may be a hard pill to swallow, but I really am certain it's in all of our best interests to have these games in September instead of October. Also, the 2011 schedule will be different, as will the rest of the '10 schedule.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:21 am

Is K50 still gonna host the ISC session, cause if he doesnt want to do it, I might as well step up, though Im gonna be feeling bad.
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:24 am

Wacky32 wrote:Is K50 still gonna host the ISC session, cause if he doesnt want to do it, I might as well step up, though Im gonna be feeling bad.

Yea I dont think he'll do it. He said that if its not tonight, he's not hosting. But I mean k50 has made videos and the pictures and I'm sure that it has August 2010 and all that stuff in it and it would suck if he had to re do them all if he's still hosting.

But I'm considering myself whether I should just withdraw my bid. I have planned so much and to back in to edit everything in my bid would be a pain in the ***. Sad Sad Sad
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 am

Ok, this is starting drive me nuts! ARRGH Razz Laughing So who hosts the ISC session cause I can do it. Perhaps I can bid for the games, though I may not. scratch
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by K50 Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Slacker: Can you update the calendar? Like when are the next games? When is the new date for the ISC session? When are bids for the games due? I mean, if I have two weeks, I might bid for the games, not just the session. Smile

Peter: No way in hell should you withdraw your bid. Editing stuff? Heck with it, it's not like your bid will suck that bad. I'll even help you edit the stuff to keep your bid in sunny(not the flash animations though, I can't do that Crying or Very sad)

Wacky: Slacker says it is still me. But depending on the new calendar, I might withdraw the bid. I have everything ready to go; at the moment, I am keeping it.

K50
K50
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumba Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Peter wrote:
Wacky32 wrote:Is K50 still gonna host the ISC session, cause if he doesnt want to do it, I might as well step up, though Im gonna be feeling bad.

Yea I dont think he'll do it. He said that if its not tonight, he's not hosting. But I mean k50 has made videos and the pictures and I'm sure that it has August 2010 and all that stuff in it and it would suck if he had to re do them all if he's still hosting.

But I'm considering myself whether I should just withdraw my bid. I have planned so much and to back in to edit everything in my bid would be a pain in the ***. Sad Sad Sad

I think we can make a exception, the word "August" won't harm your bid in any shape or form anyways. No need to change all of your bid because of the word "August." Smile That won't influence my vote in any way and I'm sure the same will be true for all of the ISC members.

Also, if K50 made the pictures in photoshop or gimp and saved them in .psd or .xcf, he can simply reenter the picture with all layers visible and just retype September anyways, a 5 minute change. But if he chooses not to hold the honor of hosting a ISC session, then we'll simply reopen bidding, problem solved Smile
Kumba
Kumba
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 409

Back to top Go down

Post by K50 Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Kumba wrote:I think we can make a exception, the word "August" won't harm your bid in any shape or form anyways. No need to change all of your bid because of the word "August." Smile That won't influence my vote in any way and I'm sure the same will be true for all of the ISC members.
That is EXACTLY why you shouldn't withdraw your bid Peter.

Also, if K50 made the pictures in photoshop or gimp and saved them in .psd or .xcf, he can simply reenter the picture with all layers visible and just retype September anyways, a 5 minute change.
and I would be more than happy to do that to keep your bid in. Smile
K50
K50
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks K50, apperciate it!! Very Happy
So where do we go from here? Smile
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by simsamerica Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Understood.
simsamerica
simsamerica

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-12-14

http://sc4united.darkbb.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:49 pm

K50 Dude wrote:Peter: No way in hell should you withdraw your bid. Editing stuff? Heck with it, it's not like your bid will suck that bad. I'll even help you edit the stuff to keep your bid in sunny(not the flash animations though, I can't do that Crying or Very sad)

nah, its fine, you dont have to worry about it I can do it. but thank you for offering to help, thats very kind Smile

Kumba wrote:I think we can make a exception, the word "August" won't harm your bid in any shape or form anyways. No need to change all of your bid because of the word "August." Smile That won't influence my vote in any way and I'm sure the same will be true for all of the ISC members.

haha k, thanks kumba! I mean would just leave my bid as is, but me having OCD(not really, but a mild form of it i guess haha) means I'm prolly gunna go back anyways and change everything.

Right now, I'm still assessing what I'm going to do. I mean thats not the only reason why Im thinking of withdrawing, I liked August because I dont have school, but by September I have school. However, I'm sure that I would be able to prepare stuff by then should I get to host it. I'm jsut confused right now.

But yea slacker or ISC, can y'all give us the exact dates of the ISC session and when bidding closes so we know our deadlines? Razz
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 am

We're taking into account your feedback, and are considering what to do next Smile.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by K50 Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:11 am

Can you update the schedule? (this one)
K50
K50