SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 huge announcments, coming by the end of this week

+11
CraigKingOfIreland
Melbourne
cormiermax
Matt
Orchid22
Peter
dljrfn2000
knarfmo
LeLeOne
canuck3360
Slacker
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5 huge announcments, coming by the end of this week - Page 2 Empty Re: 5 huge announcments, coming by the end of this week

Post by Slacker Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 am

That's the plan!
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 2998
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

5 huge announcments, coming by the end of this week - Page 2 Empty Re: 5 huge announcments, coming by the end of this week

Post by Peter Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:12 am

wheres the other announcements??? its like two weeks already lol Very Happy
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1386
Registration date : 2008-08-08

http://sites.google.com/site/chihiropetrova/

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:16 am

Yeah, sorry. RL and stuff.

I'll try and post some stuff tomorrow Smile.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:46 am

Sorry guys, I know this sucks.

I'm going to really really try and finish some of this stuff over the next couple of days Smile.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 am

Double apology and an explanation of the delay:

As you know there are two features which have yet to be unveiled, each because of a different reason:

New feature 1: Delay is due to a technical issue, a website will be launching alongside this feature and there's a problem with the submission process which I can't quite figure out. If I cannot manage to fix it before Monday I have a back up plan which I will implement.

New feature 2: This is well and truely a huge feature, and the reason for it's delay is simple; I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough time to actually deliver it.... still assessing the situation and will let you all know ASAP.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigKingOfIreland Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:08 am

Every post just makes me want to know more and more Evil or Very Mad
CraigKingOfIreland
CraigKingOfIreland
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveNatchez Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:09 am

lol...
LoveNatchez
LoveNatchez

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:44 am

Okay, I can finally announce the next announcement Very Happy. A huge thanks to Kitsune, without his PHP skills I would not have been able to launch this today Smile. Also, another huge thanks to dljfrn2000 who proposed some of the following to the ISC.

Points Application System:

Remember before when we had the points system? It was clunky, no-one really bothered to do it, but this time we think it's going to be a lot easier.

http://www.glidingeagle.com/simlympics/

From one site, every competing country will be able to assign points to all the simlympic events, the more points they assign to an event the greater the chance they have of winning a medal in that event. Simple.

Building on past successes

It doesn't really make much sense that a country could win a gold and a silver in an event once, and then win nothing in that event for the next 4 simlympics. That's why we're introducing a system which builds on the past successes of competitors.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:46 am

So, when you put that together. We have a new way of calculating medalists:

Part 1 - Points System:

The purpose: To allow nations to decide which sports they should do best in.

Each competing nation receives 500 points which they can use to assign to all the different Simlympic sports. With the new system, nations can now chose not to compete in certain sports simply by assigning that sport with 0 points.

Bonus points:
+20 for every Simlympics attended (Competing in the Simlympics raises the profile of sport in the country, thus meaning the country is more likely to win medals)
+100 for the host nation (The host nation always receives a boost thanks to home crowds and being familiar with the venues, climate etc)
+50 for past hosts (Hosting a Simlympics raises the profile of sport in the country significantly, thus meaning the country is more likely to win medals)
+20 for past bids (Bidding for the Simlympics raises the profile of sport in the country significantly, thus meaning the country is more likely to win medals)

Part 2 - Increases based on past medals:

The purpose: To ensure past medalists have a greater chance of winning a medal next time around.

This uses percentages to increase a nations chance of medaling for a second (or third, or fourth, etc etc) time round. It uses the points system as a base and then builds upon it.

If a nation won gold in the sport once before, it has a % chance of getting a medal next time round.
If a nation won silver in the sport once before, it has a % chance of getting a medal next time round.
If a nation won bronze in the sport once before, it has a % chance of getting a medal next time round.

This system will come into implementation for the ninth Simlympics (One after December) to ensure that we have a proper base to start off with. As the last results were random, they didn't provide a complete or fair overview of each nations sporting abilities so we will use Decembers results as the beginning.

N.B, the number will be rounded to ensure there are no decimals.

Part 3 - How the medalists will be calculated:

Okay, so we have the points allocation, we then increase it based on past medals and are then left with a 'point total'. We add all these totals together ('Grand total'), assign each nation a range of numbers equal to their point total. Next we choose 3 random numbers between 1 and the grand total. Finally we look at those numbers and each nations number range to see who gets which medal.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:37 am

wow, this sounds really complicated, but its a great idea Slacker!

Gosh, everytime u make an announcement, the simlympics gets more and more realistic Smile
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:38 am

Now we just need the final and grandest announcement Very Happy
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am

Petrovan Ambassador wrote:wow, this sounds really complicated, but its a great idea Slacker!

Gosh, everytime u make an announcement, the simlympics gets more and more realistic Smile

That's the trouble, we either keep it simple but unrealistic or make it realistic but complicated Sad. Hopefully we can find a middle ground...

cormiermax: The biggest announcement won't be in place in time for December unfortunately, we decided we were just taking on too much at once. It'll definitely be part of the first Simlympics of 2009 though Very Happy.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:37 am

haha i was about to say, isnt it going to be complicated for you guys to track down the points system for each country?
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 am

It says you need a passcode???
Neil
Neil

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://flavors.me/neilmoore#_

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:24 am

Just put it as 1234, we're going to get rid of that.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:23 am

I just did mine but i mest up on the first so there will be too for Novland Federation. The right one is the one with 525 points.
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by philly_boy Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am

So the Shalman Empire gets 620 points?
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://www.simcitygreece.gr

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitsune Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 am

Norn-Iron wrote:It says you need a passcode???

Thats really odd, it should not be asking for a passcode at all. Can you give a link to what you where accessing? You might have somehow hit my testing spot.
Kitsune
Kitsune

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2008-02-27

http://www.glidingeagle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2