SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Architecture, cities and anything related

+4
canuck3360
Slacker
mitsos
Melbourne
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Architecture, cities and anything related Empty Architecture, cities and anything related

Post by Melbourne Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:23 pm

Here comes another one. Just a general thread to discuss anything related to architecture, city related or the like.

In recent news Melbourne has been named a UNESCO City of Literature and now joins Edinburgh

Is it just me or has Dubai gone over-board with over ambitious and constantly extravagent ideas. They constantly are bringing out new things to try and trump the rest of the world and subsewuently are comprimising good design for a mere record. In my opinion.
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Architecture, cities and anything related Empty Re: Architecture, cities and anything related

Post by mitsos Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Nice thread melbourn. i agree Dubai gone mad. it an architecture paradise. new ideas futurist plans.
mitsos
mitsos
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Back to top Go down

Architecture, cities and anything related Empty Re: Architecture, cities and anything related

Post by Melbourne Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Wow, someone actually agrees with me. So many people think its cool just because they can build so many big things. I mean they are building the Seven Wonders of the World only BIGGER!
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsos Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 pm

They want to be a top touristic destination and spend billion of dollars in huge projects. 50 years ago it was a small village. Though I have to confess that they have a vision for their city and have made some incredible things. The palm islands destroy huge areas of corals and the environmental damaged is devastating in the region.
mitsos
mitsos
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 am

Ooo, architecture - great idea for a thread. A fantastic forum for people interested in architecture is skyscrapercity.com, if you're really interested in construction and stuff.

I'll post some pictures of buildings in construction or planning in Brighton:

Falmer Stadium:

Architecture, cities and anything related Falmerstad

Architecture, cities and anything related 0,,10433~3586062,00

Architecture, cities and anything related 1047022369_3b6548a2fa

Brighton Marina Development:

Architecture, cities and anything related 347BrightonMarinaTower_pic4

Architecture, cities and anything related 347BrightonMarinaTower_pic2

King Alfred Development:

Architecture, cities and anything related Home-plan-2

Station Area Development:

Architecture, cities and anything related 348NewEnglandSquare_pic1

Brighton i360 Tower:

Architecture, cities and anything related Image3_bg

Architecture, cities and anything related Tower

Brighton International Arena:

Architecture, cities and anything related 385377622_34a46a39c7_o

Architecture, cities and anything related 385377564_0b10216976_o

Architecture, cities and anything related 8
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 2998
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:57 pm

lol if yu look closely in the pictures of the Stadium with the fans in it they even included fights in the stands so realistic

Architecture, cities and anything related 0,,10433~3586062,00
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 3503

http://www.sthockeyleague.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:57 pm

Is anyone else this obsessed? I am an apiring architect and am in love with architecture. I have catergorised over 1000 photos into 11 major catergories such as use, location etc. and all of these folders are then catergorised so you can find something from about anywhere. So far I have 67 cities from 40 countries.
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Architecture, cities and anything related Melbou10

Here is the new soccer stadium being built in Melbourne
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:06 pm

I also like the London 2012 Olympic StadiumArchitecture, cities and anything related London10
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Lord Norman Foster is has recently been announced as the lead architect on the newest development in Melbourne. It will be the largest residential development in Australian history. Can't wait to see what he unleashes on the city! Its bound to be brilliant!! Will post pictures as soon as they are released!!
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:15 pm

I love the 2012 stadium too.... shame they're going to take it apart afterwards Sad.

Canuck: Haha, never noticed that before.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsos Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:44 pm

nice pictures guys. Here is some pictures of new Panathinaikos stadium in Athens

Architecture, cities and anything related 11964310

Architecture, cities and anything related 11964312

and one from the olympic stadium in Athens

Architecture, cities and anything related P8290010
mitsos
mitsos
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:43 pm

wow guys fantastic new topic, I'll send you images of projects under development in my city

The new station of Porta Susa
Will become the first station of Turin for volume of passengers, is made up of a great glass-arc wide 30m and long 385m, should be ready in 2010
Architecture, cities and anything related Img00010
Architecture, cities and anything related Innova11
Architecture, cities and anything related Turin210

The Intesa-Sanpaolo Skyscraper
Is the HQ of the second Italian banking group, projected by Renzo Piano, will be ready in 2011 and will be the highest Italian skyscraper, was long disputed because its height of 180m will led to be higher than the Mole Antonelliana, symbol of my town, now the height of the project has fallen to 165m, lower than 15cm of the Mole.
Architecture, cities and anything related Gratta10
Architecture, cities and anything related Micca10

The new cultural centre
Built in is a new cultural complex that will be the focus of the celebration for the 150 years of Italian unification
Architecture, cities and anything related Innova10

Juventus Arena
Will be built instead of the Stadio delle alpi opened for the 1990 WorldCup
Architecture, cities and anything related Stadio10
Architecture, cities and anything related 03prog10

Other projects
Architecture, cities and anything related Gratta11
a new residential complex in Marche avenue

Architecture, cities and anything related Gratta12
the new regional administration building near the Lingotto
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsos Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:39 am

Turin is so cool place. the station is amazing. and the skyscrapers as well are very futurist
mitsos
mitsos
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:59 am

Many transformations in urbanistic sense were possible thanks to the Olympics, Turin has always been an avant-garde city in the field of architecture, unfortunately many people hampering the development of certain projects really interesting. I frankly find that the skyscrapers are a good expression of modernity but I wonder how necessary is building them in the historical heart of a city
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveNatchez Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:18 am

Is there any location where I can download some of these buildings?
LoveNatchez
LoveNatchez

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:28 am

The only BAT that I know of these buildings is the Athens Olympic stadium, but it's really bad modelled, if u want to download it he same here is the link

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?p=results
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveNatchez Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:54 am

thanks
LoveNatchez
LoveNatchez

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:28 pm

is it just me or is Lord Norman Foster one of the best architects in history?
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 am

I love the last projects from Norman Foster, especially because it can create simple shapes and smooth surfaces, and for having introduced the use of color in architecture.
Unfortunately, his problem as that of many modern architects is that they have difficulty in dialogue with the environment around thir buildings, especially the urban one, such as SwissRe HQ London is one of my favorite skyscrapers, but put a huge suppository in the historic centre of a city is not a good solution in my opinion.
What is the most ugly construction you've ever seen?
In my opinion the Abgar Tower in Barcelona, is a huge skyscraper penis-shaped placed in the midle of an industrial zone.....just horrible ....
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:01 am

Very true. He seems to like that shape though Razz.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:14 pm

great thread melbourne! I too am obsessed with architechture from around the world. thought i dont know that much about famous architects lol. There's another place that I'm interested in. It's in Manila(capital), Philippines. They are building a new bussiness center called the Bonifacio Global City. Even though it may not make anyone breathless and even if dubai's crazyness kicks bonifacio's ass, I still like the idea of the BGC. Because the philippines is a struggling country who just came out of being a third world country, so the BGC will be like a doorway for the filipinos to becoming an economically rich country. The BGC is supposed to have a few skyscrapers, shopping malls, residential condos and more. I will post pictures up as soon as they are released. There are some, but they're really crappy.
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1386
Registration date : 2008-08-08

http://sites.google.com/site/chihiropetrova/

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:56 am

I saw the photos on the net Petrovan Ambassador, it's a very interesting project, as you said that are not buildings that leave breathless, but are trying to put order in a city that grew quickly and without regulation, the concept is very interesting, but exploits always an 'American' scheme . I find it rather interesting what they are doing in Munich and Amsterdam, where orders prohibit to build palaces which can radically alter the city's skyline, I think it's a good challenge for architecture, design new buildings horizontally beyond the pattern of 'tower' really too exploited.
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:45 pm

I think that the concentionl tower is starting to go out of fashion. They have been over done, especially by Dubai but i won't go there. Architects and planning councils are starting to favour 'campus' style buildings such as the Docklands in Melbourne. The ANZ Building is going to be the largest office by area in Australia but from memory is only going to be around 5-7 ish stories tall.
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:59 am

I think it too melbourne .... I believe that Dubai and China for certain things are really exaggerating, then now is spreading this current rotating skyscrapers that I find simply absurd.
Here is the new pavilion BMW Welt, in my opinion the best example of post-modern architecture in recent years.

Architecture, cities and anything related Bmwwel12
Architecture, cities and anything related Bmwwel13
Architecture, cities and anything related Bmw_1710
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next