SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IOC Session LIVE!

+12
Aranho
CraigKingOfIreland
Monegasque
Matt
Slacker
dljrfn2000
Engorn
Melbourne
philly_boy
knarfmo
cormiermax
Peter
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

IOC Session LIVE! - Page 4 Empty Re: IOC Session LIVE!

Post by Peter Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:42 am

I agree with monegasquedude's statement on "you can't give a statement for everybody, everybody has there own opinions".

To put it simply, everyone has their opinions on whether Atlanta or Athens had a better OC than the other. Philly, you need to realize that during the time which you spent here in America and got to know Americans does not represent the mindset of the entire US. Everyone is different. Trucks and cheerleaders(which btw I gotta admit is not the best thing for an OC) are part of american symbols along with the apple pie and the super bowl. Of course, I'm sure you hadn't spent all your time going to school here, so Im guessing that you really could care less about cheerleaders and friday football games.

Second, you are Greek. Therefore you would feel very sentimental and supportive of Athens or any European city hosting the games for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I think Athens had one of the best OCs in history. But you have to realize that, the OC in Atlanta, as crappy as it seems to you, means a lot to us. You have to realize that that Atlanta OC too showed rich culture, diversity and yes even history of our country. You may not appreciate it because you prolly don't even care for our history(and yes I know you know a lot about history). Just like some people could care less about Athen's historically rich OC simply for the fact that they don't know much about the history of Athens/Greece.

So what I'm trying to say here people is, can we just come to a truce about who made a better OC and look forward to the games in London and Rio?

/braindump
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1386
Registration date : 2008-08-08

http://sites.google.com/site/chihiropetrova/

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:32 am

Peter wrote:
So what I'm trying to say here people is, can we just come to a truce about who made a better OC and look forward to the games in London and Rio?

Fine by me; so on that note....

What do you all think about the lay out of Rio's bid? I thought it was interesting, the most interesting part; the opening and closing ceremonies are not going to be in the Athletics stadium!
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:05 pm

It should be interesting, Im not sure I really like the idea about Rio hosting though. Just something about it Razz
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:20 am

cormiermax wrote:It should be interesting, Im not sure I really like the idea about Rio hosting though. Just something about it Razz

I hear ya, while they definatly deserved the bid... there is just something funky about them hosting the games... I can't put my finger on it.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:46 am

Slums? Drug Lords? Kidnappings? those could be the issues. If you leave the Safe Area's of Rio your setting yourself up for serious trouble. I agree they deserve the games seeing as South America hasn't but just doesn't sit right with me as a host.
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 3503
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.sthockeyleague.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:30 am

I think that its the map Rio showed during the IOC presentation:

They showed a world map.; They showed dots for every games held. They showed that about 30(I can't remember the actual figures) games were held in N. America, about 12 in Asia and about 20 in Europe(again, not sure about these numbers). Then they showed a huge Rio 2016 logo in south america.

I think that this clever guilt-creating map got the IOC's vote. This is my opinion:

Chicago-lost in the first round because this was a major threat. The presentation was weak however.

Tokyo-lost in the first round because this was seen as a major threat.

Madrid-lost to Rio because this was a small threat and managed to stay in the final two. The former IOC president was from Spain, so some speculate that he got some votes. Also, the games in London 2012 won't help Madrid win.

Rio-won because of the simple fact that the games have never been held in south america.
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1386
Registration date : 2008-08-08

http://sites.google.com/site/chihiropetrova/

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 am

I think at the end of the day it was a two horse race between Rio and Chicago. Madrid was never going to get it because of London and Athens. Tokyo was unlikely to get it because if Beijing, and its bid wasn't as strong IMO.

I think it's right the games go to South America, but that wasn't the only reason Rio was chosen. It's bided before and I'm sure other South American countries have too. Rio will make an amazing Olympics... Volleyball on the Copacabana, Mountain Biking up Sugarloaf Mountain, Football at the Maracană stadium and the list goes on. I'm not saying Chicago wouldn't have been an amazing games and perhaps it's bid was maybe even better than Rio's, but there can be no denying that Rio is a worthy host - because it is an incredible sporting city and because an Olympics have never been hosted in South America before, whereas the US has hosted 3 alone.

I know some of you might be annoyed that Chicago lost, but you gotta admit - Rio will be one hell of a games.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 2998
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:46 am

Rio will host one helluva games but I just have that weird... idk feeling about it still. I liked there bid, I like the set up of the stadiums and the background that it will present... but there is just still something wrong about the games being in Rio... mind you I wasn't routing for Chicago so that's not it....
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 am

I would rather San Paulo than Rio, I just cant figure out why.
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Aranho Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:13 am

For me, I haven't seen the Madrid's presentation yet so not gonna comment on it yet.

The Rio's bid, I like the how each venues is gonna be in 4 different clusters. Perfect layout I say, especially the ring road system.

The Tokyo's bid, I find that there's too little details on the presentation and it's the worst amongst the three I've watched so far.

The Chicago's bid, I would say that it could win if they provide more details. Likewise, similar to Rio's bid, perfect layout of venues.
Aranho
Aranho
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1146
Registration date : 2008-10-18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Aranho

Back to top Go down

Post by neburruben Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:37 pm

I only say...MADRID 2020!!!

neburruben

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 am

canuck3360 wrote:Slums? Drug Lords? Kidnappings? those could be the issues. If you leave the Safe Area's of Rio your setting yourself up for serious trouble. I agree they deserve the games seeing as South America hasn't but just doesn't sit right with me as a host.

I kinda read this and wanted to make a statement.
Rio is not exactly a "drug den" or full of "slums" i have numerous friends from Brazil and two that are natives of Rio de Janiero.
Put it this way, your ganna wanna act the same way as you would act in say Chicago, London, Athens, Beijing, and Los Angles. it may seem like Rio is a hell of a crazy city filled with drugs, crime, and thugs. but actually it has the same problems many large cites around the world face. the fact that Brazil is relatively an Unknown country lately. even i thought this at first until i was told by a native Brazilian that what is usually shown in the media is just a really small problem in a city with soooo much to offer.

Just keep in mind that within the next 10 to 20 years Brazil will become a major world power. remember how China used Beijing 2008 as a coming out party to the world? Think that but for the brazilians in Rio 2016. its alllll politics folks.
Jcool663
Jcool663

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-03-01

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4