SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The race for 2016..

+12
Peter
LeLeOne
Matt
dljrfn2000
Kitsune
Melbourne
IDScalcio
Jcool663
patfirefghtr
canuck3360
Slacker
ccecill
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The race for 2016.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The race for 2016..

Post by Jcool663 Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Well thats the fear...
Atlanta was a solid screw up!
I think the IOC will be very nervous about even picking up Chicago...
Neverless...
Jcool663
Jcool663

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-03-01

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Kitsune wrote:
The Middle East will never host games with the current IOC attitude - Doha scored higher then Rio but was left out because the games where outside the time the IOC wanted them, and holding them in the time the IOC wants them isnt possible because of high temperatures. Manchester, Osaka will never succeed eithier - its much like Leipzig 2012, the IOC only wants a countries main city(ies) bidding these days. And Osaka was roasted in the 08 bids.

Well, There i think your wrong... Look at the last 20 years of olympic bidding...

Relitively Unknown Cities until Olympic fame highlighted

1992-Barcelona
1992-Albertville
1994-Littlehammer
1996-Atlanta
1998-Nagano
2000-Sydney
2002-Salt Lake City
2004-Athens
2006-Torino
2008-Beijing
2010-Vancouver(Up for debate)

That is 7 out of 11 bids were for minor major cities... or just ski towns...

Seeing that cities like Albertville and Barcelona which are somewhat unknown to most people won these games i have a feeling that cities like

Osaka, Dubai, Doha, Toronto, Manchester, Melbourne, Cape Town, Mumbai, and Boston will probably make attempts at becoming host cities...

It seems as if the IOC has taken care of mostly all the major cities in the last 12 years... and now its time for smaller, lesser known cities to shine and show that they can host just like the big boys... (Yet ironically one of the major international cities in the world New York, have yet hosted... Odd huh?)

What the IOC should do is stop giving these summer games to these major cities and give the winter Olympics to bigger cities than smaller ones (Vancouver, Sochi are a start) I would like to see Geneva, Lake Placid, or maybe even Seattle host the games...

Just my opinion...
Jcool663
Jcool663

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:17 pm

ummm Jcool... it's LILLEHAMMER not Littlehammer

and if you notice it's the Summer Games that they want in a main city lately I know Barcelona may not seem like it's a main city to you but belive it or not Barcelona and Madrid are two well known cities worldwide(Even before the games) so if you look at that list the Summer Games will fall to a larger well known city.

as for the Idea of Winter games in Bigger Cities well Lake Placid? it's not a big city trust me I've been there Seattle would be nice but they don't get nearly cold enough there.

Good Larger Winter Venues(Cities)
Stockholm
Montreal
Boston
Helsinki
Moscow
Edmonton
personally I like the games being in the smaller towns for the Winter Olympics and the Summer in the Larger Cities Just seems to fit so well for some odd reason
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 3503
Registration date : 2008-02-26

http://www.sthockeyleague.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitsune Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:57 am

Jcool, the point is, for the SOG, a lot of the past games since 2000 have occur in well known International cities. The WOG are the only ones going to small cities lately.
Kitsune
Kitsune

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2008-02-27

http://www.glidingeagle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:15 pm

True...-__-
Jcool663
Jcool663

Back to top Go down

Post by ccecill Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 am

Jcool... I'd add Atlanta to the unknown cities.

Did people abroad even know where Atlanta was before 96? It's big in the south, but that's about it.
ccecill
ccecill

Number of posts : 37

http://www.svams.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:15 am

Thats exactly what i mean. Atlanta is a SMALL city compared to some cities... like London Tokyo or Paris.

Canuck-My mistake... it is however you spelled it...

Just get prepared for cities like Dubai, Osaka, Toronto, and Houston to be very good possiabilities as bidders...

and i just think Barcelona is a small city back in the early 90's late 80's... you're forgetting that today Barcelona is a very large city in Espania BECAUSE of the Olympics... Same for Atlanta.The hosting of the Olympics gave these cities the spot light they needed to grow and be considred important. Just as Cecil said Atlanta is barely known and i know only a handful of people who knew the city barcelona before the games and after...

I just believe that citys like Dubai Osaka and Toronto are probably going to make a run at the hosting selections in the near future. Osaka is a LARGE city just like Tokyo (Just like how Barcelona was also large but was overshadowed by Madrid) and i would expect that Dubai would also be a contender seeing that the Olympics has yet to be hosted in the middleeast and the IOC wants to see some new places (like Rio or like Doha. It gives them the oppertunity to show the world these cities and also share the glory of the games.) I have a feeling Rio has got it because almost every Latin/spanish Dialect speaking country is supporting there bid and also there IOC members are as well.

2020 is probably ganna be again in Asia (Osaka, Tokyo, Yokohama, Seoul, Melbourne,Shanghi, Mumbai,Hong Kong, at this time will be ITCHING to host these games. if Tokyo dosent win the bid in 2016 which will be a slim chance. These cities and there commities will fight to have a shot at hosting the games so that way they can raise tourist ventures to there cities and showcase there cities and countrys resulting in PROFIT! which will in short pay for the games all on there own.)

2024 will probably be the time that the middleeast will gets its chance (Dubai and Doha and other citys will probably be the pack leaders)

Around 2028 will probably be the only chances for America to win a bid neatherless have a fighting chance. Since The USOC owes so many dues to the IOC due to previous olympic hosts, and many other olympic expenses.

Remember its just opinion. you have to remember we ALL could be DEAD wrong and have no idea what members of the IOC voting committe are thinking. I just think that this is the way the dominoes are ganna fall...
Jcool663
Jcool663

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:27 am

Today, the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee accepted Chicago, Tokyo, Madrid and Rio de Janeiro as Candidate Cities in the race for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Unfortunately, Doha was not accepted as a Candidate City on this occasion.

so its down to as we expected Chicago Tokyo Madrid and Rio

looking at this, purely as if it were the simlympics, based on venues, area, and transit I think Madrid is the favorite, the next would be Chicago then Tokyo and last Rio, I have yet to see anything out of Rio that looks good on the website they were like some of the dark horse bids here, good start but I didnt see enough.

Chicago and Tokyo did two things I didn't like they out sourced some football games, in Tokyo's case all over Japan, I think they could do better than that having just recently hosted the world cup.

Chicago also outsources to Minnesota for football.... Chicago ummm hey guys there is a stadium of equal size just north of Chicago call Michigan State Stadium that is far closer in East Lansing then in Minneapolis. So I dont like that I think that is a rather dumb move on there part, and Im not just saying that as an MSU fan.

I think Madrid keeps everything closer to the host city adds a beautiful Mediterranean background and has the best culture and facilities to host the games.... will they do it because of politics no, of course not, the games politically speaking will be headed to Rio of course with there out reach program they adopted from FIFA and the world cup. T

he winter olympics will go to the US, they arnt putting the winter games in Spain and they wont put them in Japan with Nagano just recently in 98, 2018 winter games are going to the US it will be interesting to see where.

and by that point Bush is gone, McCain is gone or Obama is gone so no matter who screws us up we are either going to be in a hole and the end of western civilization is near... we wont be needing to worry about the Olympics any more, or we're going to be prosperous again and the US would be the ideal place for the Olympic games
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:14 am

actually Spartan Stadium in East Lansing is about 4 hours by car from Chicago and Minneapolis is 6 hours by car(but a flight is much easier from Chicago to Minneaolis,A flight to Lansing is less likely seeing as Capital City,MBS,Bishop, and G.R.Ford Airports are going to be hit hard with some downscaling) and an even better Stadium would be Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor(seats 112,000) or Northwesterns Stadium(30 minutes north),or Camp Randell stadium in Madison WI(2 Hours North),Lambeau Field(3 Hours North),Illionois U Stadium(2 Hours South),Norte Damn Stadium(just under 2 Hours)Purdue University's Stadium(2 Hours) so as you can see plenty of Stadiums other than Minny and MSU(and even UM)

and Michigan State is not Just north of Chicago East Lansing is due East

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=East+Lansing,MI&daddr=Chicago,IL&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.324283,90.703125&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=8

The main reason they're using Minneapolis is cause the University is Building a new Stadium and teh Chicago Games Commitee wanted it in a new Stadium(Personally I think they should just use the Chicago Fire's Stadium(Toyota Park) as well as Northwestern's Stadium)
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:11 am

for some reason I thought East Lansing was closer to the west of Michigan, any way.... ya I like that Toyta Park Idea, or at worst talk the Brewers into letting them use Miller Park... im sure that could be converted into a soccer field rather well (go from center field down toward home plate the corners might be a tad close on the side near home plate though, not sure about the exact dimensions but its a thought)

and Milwaukee is marginally closer than most of the stadiums listed so thats a rather good idea, I think they are using Northwestern Stadium but ya Lambeau is interesting why not use the cornerstone of Chicago for your Olympic bid?
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:15 pm

just a brief rebuttal to JCOOL

its ganna get a little crazy because you now have to add in places like Dubai (which no doubt will be bidding in 2020 or 2024),Osaka, Moscow, Cape Town, Melbourne, Doha, Debrunvik, and Manchester....
Although i doubt any of these places will be bidding any time soon or have the infastructure to win

I don't know about the other cities all that much but Melbourne, Moscow and Manchester all have enough infrastructure and it would be easy enough to update it. Melbourne has already hosted the Olympics and Commonwealth Games and has all the necessary infrastructure with a brand new soccer stadium underway at the moment. If there was to be a bid there would of course be new stadiums. There is a huge rail network with new rail tunnels to being construction and expansion of road network as well as 3rd largest tram network in the world. The venues are all located in the same district of the city as the '56 Olympics were held. The stadium for the Opening Ceremony has 100,000 seating capacity (MCG), has a world class tennis venue which hosts Australian Open. Has Albert Park which hosts Formula One Grand Prix and has the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Stadium which was extended and hosted swimming at the '06 Commonwealth Games. The Rectangular Stadium will hold 35,000 capacity, Telstra Dome has 60,000 capacity. The only things that would need expanding would be the Swimming Centre, Velodrome which needs to be built and the rejuvenation of many smaller stadia. Melbourne is one of the sporting capitals of the world and for its size of 3.75million has alot of sporting teams. 2 basketball teams, 2 Netball teams, 1 Rugby, 1 Soccer, 10 teams in the AFL(founding city of AFL) as well as numberous VFL football teams(minor league to the AFL)
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:23 am

dljrfn2000 wrote:
and Milwaukee is marginally closer than most of the stadiums listed so thats a rather good idea, I think they are using Northwestern Stadium but ya Lambeau is interesting why not use the cornerstone of Chicago for your Olympic bid?

Yup Milwaukee fits n with those I listed as it's within 2 hours by Car from Chicago.I think they are using Ryan Field(Northwestern's Stadium) Ummmmm but Lambeau is not a Cornerstone of Chicago,Lambeau field is in Green Bay,WI and anyone in Chicago who even thinks that Lambeau is a great place is well looking for a beating(Green Bay and Chicago are pretty big Rivals) but in that regaurd Lambeau would be a pretty sweet place for the Olympic Soccer Tourney as to teh Idea of Miller Park(Brewers) I don't think tehy could seeing as the MLB is in full swing during that time and I know for a fact that they don't want to have the field torn up as putting in a soccer Field would require them to cover the Infield and remove the picthers mound. thats one of the reason's you don't see as many joint use stadiums any more(in fact there are only 3 at the moment-Minnesota,Miami,Oakland(but Minnesota will have a new Baseball Stadium in 2010 as well as a new College football Stadium too and I think Oakland's building a new Ballpark as well) Football Teams don't like having to run onto the dirt of the infield and baseball doesn't like having the outfield and infield grass being torn up by Football Games.

and Melbourne there's 10 AFL teams in Melbourne???? geez you'd think they'd exand outside of Melbourne already lol
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:28 am

haha lol they already have, there are already 6 interstate teams, with another two to come. There is huge support in Melbourne and all the 10 clubs have refused to move
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:31 pm

Lambu.... ya Im a moron duhhh its green Bay what was I thinking of, the famous football stadium of the bares?
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Soldier Field=Bears and they are using that in the Olympic Bid

and Melbourne I know I watch the AFL here in the states(I'm really falling in Love with that sport) It just amazes me that there is 10 teams in one city all with a strong following(but then again in my CJ-Rorysville City has 3 Pro teams in Football,Baseball,Soccer and 5 Pro Hockey Teams not to mention the min or League teams and College teams in the city limits so it's not so hard to imagine)
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:36 pm

if there is a future expansion of the AFL in Melbourne, which is highly likely another high capacity stadium will have to be built. So the city will have 3 stadiums with capacities over 60,000.
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Candidate cities

* United States - Chicago—score 7.0
* Spain - Madrid—score 8.1
* Brazil - Rio de Janeiro—score 6.4
* Japan - Tokyo—score 8.3

Eliminated applicant cities

* Azerbaijan - Baku—score 4.3
* Qatar - Doha—score 6.9
* Czech Republic - Prague—score 5.3

Posted it just for the scores Smile
Matt
Matt
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 863
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 pm

its going to be very interesting who gets it. Im hoping for Chicago as I will be over in America then, hopefully or in Rio. If it is in that time-zone region then there is a better chance for one in the Australian/Asian region!!
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm hoping for Madrid to win as I live in Europe bounce
Matt
Matt
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:50 pm

They would be good, but they don't really tend to double up on the same continent, as London is in 2012
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:56 pm

The games have never been held in Africa cyclops
Matt
Matt
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:01 pm

yeh that is suprising. I wonder where the first ones will be held? South Africa, Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria or others?
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 am

Definetly South Africa
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeh they seem to be the front runners. Really does depend how the Soccer World Cup goes. Egypt and Morocco both have the potential to host. Nigeria is updating their venues and bid for the Commonwealth Games with Abuja but lost to Glasgow vote was 47-24
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:03 am

damn straight I'm happy the Commonwealth games are in Glasgow(being scottish in decent)

as to the african nations as I said yup the 2010 FIFA WC will be the deciding factor for them,Egypt I personally think would be a cool place for them Imagine the backdrop of having the Pyrmids for some of the venues or up in Alexandria right on the Med at the mouth of the Nile would be beautifull,

Nigeria would be another intresting spot. I don't see Kenya doing it though simply for the fact I don't see the inrfasctutre there for it in Kenya
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next