SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simlympic Park Discussion

+6
Melbourne
GreekMan
LeLeOne
canuck3360
dljrfn2000
Slacker
10 posters

Go down

Simlympic Park Discussion Empty Simlympic Park Discussion

Post by Slacker Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:31 am

Thought I'd start a thread so people can discuss their thoughts on designs, layouts, amount of stadiums etc which should be in the main Simlympic park. Smile.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 2998
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Simlympic Park Discussion Empty Re: Simlympic Park Discussion

Post by dljrfn2000 Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:41 am

Olympic Stadium

Swimming Stadium

Baseball/Softball Stadium

Gymnastic arena

Vellodrome

those should definatly be in the simlympic green area, I see so often people (myself including) that smash every single little arena into a small area, and call that a simlympic green.

Simlympic greens as well presented by Penthsilli needs a lot of park amentites foutains, green grass, sometimes even tree's pathways, etc.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:03 pm

yeah I tried to keep Laval's Simlympic Park as open as possible and then even had a couple venues really close to the Park as well(1 right across a bridge) and the other 2 blocks away
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 3503

http://www.sthockeyleague.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:51 pm

Fantastic new thread Slacker.
Frankly I find that the Penthesili's park is a good example of ěsimlympic green', it's well-designed, ordered, not just an accumulation of venues, but structures well organized and well-distributed surrounded by much greenery. This is well suited in a city like that of 17mln inhabitants, with an availability of large spaces, but in Alameda a similar park would be disproportionate, to say nothing about the city under 1million inhabitants. For these I think is a good solution to divide the different arenas in different green, smaller and collected, with a main park slightly larger, and even to exploit some existing venues in the city....
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:54 am

Think you've hit the nail on the head LeLe, the size of the park needs to be proportionate to the size of the city, its ridiculous any other way.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekMan Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:49 pm

whee do you get the velodome?

GreekMan

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:53 pm

most people have used an arena mistos used the Milenium Dome.in Laval I was using a Basketball Arena that was being converted for the Games
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:41 am

Yeah, the millenium dome is a good choice. Also, the Koln Arena (I believe that's its name) would make a great velodrome too.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:57 pm

I like the open Simlympic Parks with the main 3 arenas: Athletics, Swimming and Gymnastic/Indoor, these three should be present and so can a few others. Using two or three zones can also be effective if there is adequate transportation.

Simlympic Parks, in my opinion, also are influenced by the city they are in. For instance Svřrdendar's new Simlympic Park will work with the canals and work into the overall design of the city
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LeLeOne Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Melbourne you are right, the important thing is that the park can fit with the city around him, both in the case that it is built in an not urbanized area, both in the case that it's going to recover existing areas.
LeLeOne
LeLeOne

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:33 am

exactly LeLeOne Thats how Laval's Simlympic Park go developed.It wasn't the most open but had enough open spaces to make it a great gathering area.at the same time it also lent it's self to the highrises nearby it and blended it'self pretty well into the sourounding area.
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:40 am

Ya I think Delkon Forrests fits will I can imagine sitting at the top of a building in the simlympic village over looking the Park and the bay and it fitting rather well. I really wish I could get that shot....... Sad

Its all on how the park fits into the layout of your city
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:14 am

I'd be awesome if you could walk around your city, so many awesome shots you could get.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:57 pm

would be great if there were better camera angles.
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 am

yeah it would be I'd love to stand in Laval's Park and look out into the Lake and bay over at downtown
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Sim Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:50 am

Personally, i think the simlympic park should be spacious and not just an area with loads of stadiums all crammed in together.

I think it should have:

Main olympic stadium

1 major indoor stadium

Aquatics center

Velodrome

And maybe something else like a tennis stadium. I think, if there are any more it becomes overcrowded and quite unrealistic. If you look at real life bids, e.g. London 2012, there are only a select few stadiums in the olympic park, with all the other venues dotted around the whole city.

As well as the above list, there should be some kind of transport hub in or just outside the park.

Mr_Sim

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:41 am

It's funny you bring the London 2012 comparison up, whilst reading the list of what you think should be in the park that same comparison came into my mind as well Smile.

In general, I prefer a spacious park with only a handful of stadiums in - but some have managed to put a lot of stadiums into one park successfully. I fear that the Simlympic Park may be seen by some as the only place stadiums can be placed.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:14 am

I worked hard to make sure that the Delkon Forrest Bid included things outside of the green. I think the only one who was truely able to fit all arena's within the green was Mitos at Penthsilli. I think this is more true with the Summer games than the winter the winter games you can hold all your "ice events" on the green. In my original Perthshire winter plan my simlympic stadium wasn't even on the green. (and it might still end up like that I'm having a lot of trouble with my green for the winter games thank god I have until like October to get what I want done)

But for the summer games here is what I think needs to be done on a green. The Simlympic Stadium needs to be the focal point of the green. Like with all greens the simlympic stadium needs to be the one everyone knows and sees. I think this was a major part of Penthsilli we all knew that the Beijing stadium was the focal point to that green.
Second you need to include other major stadiums like a soccer finals stadium, a baseball/softball finals stadium and you need to include a swimming area and a tennis finals stadium. That is all, everything else needs to be handled off the green and be a major part of your city's structure. People tend to forget that wooded and rural area's are important and offer a great spot for shooting, archery and equestrian.
Beaches offer a great Volleyball, rowing and sailing location.
College campuses offer a great preliminary Soccer, and hockey location.
In order to make a realistic green and host a realistic games (which is all our goal I would hope) you need to spread out the venues as best you can.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Sim Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:40 pm

I agree with pretty much all of the above. It is much more realistic to utilise cxurrent venues, and other places like colleges, as well as rural locations for shooting, mountain biking etc.

This is much more more realistic, because lets face it, in real life, no government could afford to build so many new venues, especially considering any decent city should have a lot of these venues already.

Furthermore, if all the venues were in the same place, imagine how crowded it would be. Not to mention, the congestion when everybody wants to return to their hotel...

Mr_Sim

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 am

I personally think the green should be the showy place where venues that the country is going to not get any use out of should be placed, while other stadiums should be placed all over the shop - more realistic
Neil
Neil

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://flavors.me/neilmoore#_

Back to top Go down

Post by woodb3kmaster Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:43 am

So far, this discussion has focused on how to build a good Simlympic park. But another aspect of a realistic bid involves when to build it.

Real cities never build their Olympic parks unless they actually win the hosting rights. This is very practical; why would a city spend billions of dollars on a complex if there's a significant chance it won't be used? In the Simlympics' early days, bidders mostly followed this basic idea (including my two bids), but in recent memory, I can recall seeing far too many bids where cities already had an existing, complete Simlympic park. This simply isn't realistic.

The moral of the story: Plan ahead all you like, but if you want to have a realistic bid, don't build everything unless your bid wins.
woodb3kmaster
woodb3kmaster
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Aranho Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:32 pm

That's what Tourist City did. It re-model the Simlympics Park/Sports Hub after it won the rights to host the April 09 Games. Wink
Aranho
Aranho
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1146
Registration date : 2008-10-18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Aranho

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:07 am

as cool as that would be, we can't really do that. In the real games they use artist depictions and such to show what the games will look like, but we can't really do that with Sim City. As great as it would be to have a country give a plot of land as the 'where the games will be,' the ISC can't trust that we're going to put the games together (in about 2 weeks time) they need to see what it will look like in advance
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down